Hi hi, I am back for the new recipe. Today recipe is a spinach soup. This soup is one of traditional soup in Indonesia called sayur bayam. ‘Bayam’ means spinach and ‘sayur’ means vegetable. We are going to cook this spinach vegetable into a soup, in short it is a spinach soup. The key point of this soup is the color need to be transparent. The method is really simple but, probably some of the ingredients are a little bit hard to find. I add some replacement if the ingredients is rare in some countries.
- 1 bulk of Spinach
- 2 cloves of red garlics or shallots
- 2 fingerroots or 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 corn
- 1 chayote (optional)
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of salt
How to make :
Prepare the ingredients
- Wash and dry the spinach, corn, chayote, fingerroots, shallots. Roughly chop the spinach and set aside. The stems can be minced or slice and served along with the other vegetables, but if you don’t like, slice off and discard the stems.
- Cut the corn into 4 or 5 pieces, each about 1/2 inches long and Split the pieces into two to make smaller.
- Peel the chayote and dice it to a cube size.
- Peel and slice the shallots. Set aside
- Roughly chop the fingerroot into half and set aside. If you use ginger, peel the ginger first, chop it roughly and then smashed it.
Prepare to cook
- Prepare a pot and boil 1 Liter of water with strong heat. When the water is boiling turn the fire to medium heat.
- Add the red garlics and the fingerroot first to make the flavor.
- Pour the corn, chayote to the pot. Wait around 5 minutes until the kernels are golden and tender, the chayote turn into transparent and soft means they are cooked.
- Pour the spinach, cook it around 5 minutes until the spinach soft and tender.
- Add seasoning with salt and sugar.
Put it into a bowl and serve it with rice. The soup taste delicious when it is still warm. The spinach soup taste is not as strong as chicken or meat soup, not spicy, and not salty either. Uniquely this spinach soup probably taste bland but, it taste sweet. The children and elderly mostly like it because of the sweetness and easy to digest.
It is full of nutrition thanks to the ginger and other vegetables. Easy & good for our health! Everyone can try it at home!